Stephen G. Thon, MDOrthopedic & Sports Medicine SurgeonShoulder, Elbow, Knee & sports medicine Specialist
Dr. Stephen Thon is an orthopedic surgeon born and raised in Denver, Colorado now practicing in the south Denver area. He is fellowship trained in the field of orthopedic Sports Medicine where he received expert training in arthroscopic and minimally invasive orthopedic procedures. His focus is on advanced arthroscopic techniques for repair and complex reconstruction of the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee joints. He has received specialized training in primary and revision rotator cuff repair surgery, shoulder instability surgery, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction, and shoulder replacement (shoulder arthroplasty). Dr. Thon also has a special interest in injury prevention, especially for youth and adolescent athletes.
Dr. Thon grew up in southeast Denver and attended Cherry Creek High School. He completed his undergraduate degree from the University of Colorado - Boulder with bachelors degrees in Biochemistry and Integrative Physiology while playing collegiate and club rugby. He earned his medical degree (MD) and completed his Orthopedic Surgery Residency at Tulane University in New Orleans, LA, where he was a Chief Resident.
Following his residency training, Dr. Thon sought out sub-specialty training in the field of Orthopedic Sports Medicine and Shoulder surgery at the University of Colorado - Anschutz Medical Center. During his fellowship, he served as team physician for the NHL Colorado Avalanche; University of Colorado Buffaloes football, basketball, and soccer teams; Denver University Pioneers hockey, soccer, and lacrosse teams; along with a variety of local high school athletic teams in the Denver/Boulder area. Dr. Thon’s fellowship training focused on the surgical management of complex sports injuries in athletes of all levels. Dr. Thon takes care of athletes and non-athletes alike. He is committed to providing the highest quality of care for his patients so they may return to the life they want as quickly and safely as possible. In addition to his clinical work, he is dedicated to advancing the field of orthopedics through research and has published multiple articles and book chapters throughout his career.
After completing his fellowship, Dr. Thon started practice in Denver, CO to be close to his family and serve the community that he grew up in. When not practicing orthopedics, Dr. Thon can be found enjoying the outdoors with his wife, Keleigh, and their two dogs Blue and Hefe. They love participating in every season Colorado has to offer from taking the dogs hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter. He is an ardent fan of all Colorado sports including the Broncos, Avalanche, Nuggets, and Rockies and an adopted fan of the New Orleans Saints.
Orthopedic Sports Medicine Surgeon
Denver Metro Orthopedics, PC, Denver, COAug 2020 – Present
499 E. Hampden Avenue
Englewood, CO 80113
Orthopedic Sports Medicine Fellowship
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Denver, CO
Fellowship Director – Eric C. McCarty, MDAug 2019 – Jul 2020
Tulane University Orthopedic Surgery, New Orleans, LA
Chairman – Felix H. Savoie III, MDJul 2014 - Jun 2019
Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) 08/2010 - 05/2014
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
Biochemistry (B.A.), Integrative Physiology (B.A.), Chemistry (minor)08/2005 - 05/2010
Cherry Creek High School
Greenwood Village, CO Class of 2005
Tulane Orthopedics Class Award 2019
Tulane Orthopedics Class Case Log Award - 2019
Recognition to the resident who participated in and performed the most cases throughout entirety of residency. Awarded for 2018-2019 resident class year.
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society - 2019
Nominated as resident member to National Medical Honor society. New Orleans, LA.
Herodicus Society - American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine - Jul 2018
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) Annual Meeting 2018. July 5-8, 2018. San Diego, CA. Awarded Best Paper by the Herodicus Society for "Evaluation of Healing Rates and Safety using a Bio-inductive Collagen Patch for Large and Massive Rotator Cuff Tears: Two year Safety and Clinical Outcomes" Read more
Tulane Orthopaedic Research Award 2018
Tulane University Orthopaedics Department - Jun 2018
Recognition for Excellence in Orthopaedic Research.
Awarded Best Resident Paper for "Evaluation of Healing Rates and Safety using a Bio-inductive Collagen Patch for Large and Massive Rotator Cuff Tears: Two year Safety and Clinical Outcomes" Read more
AANA Resident Scholarship 2017
Arthroscopy Association of North America - May 2017
Scholarship awarded by Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) to attend 2017 Annual Meeting; Denver, CO
Tulane Orthopedics Case Log Award 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Recognition to the resident who participated in and performed the most cases in a single year of residency.
Awarded for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 resident years.
Tulane University Orthopaedics Department - May 2014
Recognition of outstanding performance in clinical orthopaedics, Tulane University School of Medicine
- Belk JW, Thon SG, Smith JH, McCarty EC. Meniscal Repair with PRP augmentation: A Systematic Review. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. Pre-print.
- Thon SG, Branche K, Houck DA, Didinger T, Vidal AF, Frank RM, Bravman JT. Effectiveness of Latarjet for Anterior Shoulder Instability in Patients with Seizure Disorder. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery International. 2020. Pre-print
- Thon SG, Belk JW, Bravman JT, McCarty EC, Savoie FH 3rd. Regeneten bio-inductive collagen scaffold for rotator cuff tears: indications, technique, clinical outcomes, and review of current literature. Annals of Joint. 2020. http://aoj.amegroups.com/article/view/5816/pdf DOI: 10.21037/aoj.2020.03.04
- Jones SD, Thon SG, Frank RM. Shoulder and elbow education during COVID19-perspectives from the resident, fellow, and attending level. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2020; PMID: 32446761
- Bohlen HL, Schwartz ZE, Wu VJ, Thon SG, et al. Platelet-Rich Plasma Is an Equal Alternative to Surgery in the Treatment of Type 1 Medial Epicondylitis. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. 2020;8(3):2325967120908952. PMID: 32232070
- Thon SG, Seidl AJ, Bravman JT, McCarty EC, Savoie FH, Frank RM. Advances and Update on Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Current Reviews Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2020; PMID: 31884675
- Wu VJ, Thon SG, Finley Z, et al. Double-Row Repair for Recalcitrant Medial Epicondylitis. Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine. 2019;7(12):2325967119885608. PMID: 31903395
- Thon SG, O'Malley L, O'Brien MJ, Savoie FH. Evaluation of Healing Rates and Safety With a Bioinductive Collagen Patch for Large and Massive Rotator Cuff Tears: 2-Year Safety and Clinical Outcomes.
American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2019:363546519850795. PMID: 31150274
*Herodicus Award Winner, LOA Top Resident Paper Award*
- Thon SG, Savoie FH. Rotator Cuff Repair: Patch the Shoulder. Arthroscopy. 2019;35(4):1014-1015. PMID: 30954094
- Bohlen HL, Gargiulo DJ, Thon SG. Occlusion Outside the Norm: A Unique Case of the Pulseless, WellPerfused Hand Following Closed Humeral Shaft Fracture. Orthopedics. 2019;42(2):e279-e281. PMID: 30540878
- Bohlen HL, Thon SG, Savoie FH. “Management of the Painful Throwing Shoulder.” International Congress for Joint Reconstruction-Online. 2018; Sept. http://icjr.net/articles/management-of-the-painful-throwing-shoulder
- Thon SG, O’Brien MJ, Rush L, Gold P, Savoie FH. Proximal anterolateral portals in elbow arthroscopy are safer for use relative to the radial nerve: A systematic review. Journal of ISAKOS: Joint Disorders & Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. 2018;3(6), 352-356. DOI: 10.1136/jisakos-2018-000205
- Thon SG, Gold P, Rush L, O'Brien MJ, Savoie FH. Modified Anterolateral Portals in Elbow Arthroscopy: A Cadaveric Study on Safety. Arthroscopy. 2017;33(11):1981-1985. PMID: 28822638
- Faust KC, Thon SG, Wild E, Yousuf AA, Brashear M. “Transcutaneous Oxygen Reading as a Predictive Factor of Wound Complications.” Joint Implant Surgery & Research Foundation Reconstructive Review. Vol 4, Supp 2, Oct 2014. 21
- Thon, Stephen G: Williams, Garrett H; Savoie III, Felix H. “Debridement and Releases to Set Up for Revision Success”. The Failed Rotator Cuff: Repair, Revision, Augments, Replacement: ISAKOS consensus book. Savoie FH, Calvo E, Mazzocca AD. Berlin: Springer, 2021. Pre-print.
- Williams, Garrett H; Thon, Stephen G; Savoie III, Felix H. “Repair and Augmentation: Overview”. The Failed Rotator Cuff: Repair, Revision, Augments, Replacement: ISAKOS consensus book. Savoie FH, Calvo E, Mazzocca AD. Berlin: Springer, 2021. Pre-print.
- Belk, John W; McCarty Jr, Eric C.; Thon, Stephen G; McCarty, Eric C. “Anatomy and Blood Supply of the Rotator Cuff”. The Failed Rotator Cuff: Repair, Revision, Augments, Replacement: ISAKOS consensus book. Savoie FH, Calvo E, Mazzocca AD. Berlin: Springer, 2021. Pre-print.
- Thon, Stephen G; Frank, Rachel. “Complete Distal Biceps Ruptures”. The Management of Biceps Pathology: A Clinical Guide from the Shoulder to the Elbow. 1st Edition. Romeo AA, Erickson B, Griffin J. Berlin: Springer, 2021. Pre-print.
- Thon, Stephen G; Mulcahey, Mary K; Savoie, Felix H. “THE ELBOW”. Making the Diagnosis in Orthopaedics: A Multimedia Guide. 1st Edition. Miller MD, Dempsey IJ. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, February 2019. Print.
- Thon, Stephen G; O’Brien, Michael J; Savoie, Felix H. “Arthroscopic HAGL and RHAGL Repair”. An Atlas of Advanced Shoulder Arthroscopy. 2nd Edition. Imhoff AB, Ticker JB, Mazzocca A, Voss A. Boca Raton: CRC Press, December 2017. Print.
Click here for download a Dr Thon CV
Get Adobe ReaderYou will need the Adobe Reader to view & print these documents.